Wednesday, March 28, 2007

There's Hope for Clutterbugs Like Me!

This news piece made me smile. I especially liked this:

"We all function at different levels," says Organize By Design owner Jamie Tabish. "Some people do fine with piles. Some people do fine with things all over. Perhaps it's because internally they're very well organized, and their environment doesn't affect them as much."


So, that's it. I must be very internally well-organized. :)

Seriously, though, I have been bothered through the years with this standard "out there" that you have to have a clean house to be a good woman (a good member of the Church?) It may sound like a cop-out, but I don't have much of a knack for cleaning. I never have. That's not to say that I don't want to try to do what I can and that I shouldn't try to find ways to make improvements. But considering my lack of natural knack and chronic illness issues, it was nice to hear a "professional organizer" say that it's possible for me to still have some semblance of order in my chaos. I've never really had any expert give me permission to not be perfect in this way. So that article was a bit liberating for me. I've got enough I feel inadequate about that I don't need to feel like a hopeless failure because I'm not the best housekeeper in the world. After all, there's more to making a home than just cleaning, right?

And, you know what? I really can find things in my mess. It's when I clean that I lose stuff. :)

3 comments:

  1. You are so right about "losing" things after cleaning everything up.

    We are trying to sell our house, prior to moving this summer. In trying to make our house look very "neat" for prospective buyers, I have removed a table and set of shelves that used to be near my desk, and a stowed away piles of things that used to be in easy reach, in various closets. Now, every time I need something from those piles, I have to look in tons of different places.

    Of course, filing everything in my file cabinet or in labeled boxes would help. But my interim system is hopelessly confused now, and I waste so much time trying to find things that used to be in arm's reach! Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. eric nielson

    If I didn't see you as one of the good guys I'd think that was cynicism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug,
    It's OK, Eric is a good guy and I appreciate knowing that I'm not alone, either. :) I suspect that sometimes it's hard on our hubbies when we aren't as good at the housekeeping thing as many (most?) women are.

    ReplyDelete