Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ah, well

So much for the goal that I would be blogging more. There's always the irony of journaling (or, in our day, blogging) -- when you are busy with all that life brings, you don't always have (or take) time to write. But it's during those times that you want to (and should) write to capture all of that life that is happening.

I wished I had kept updates during all the dishwasher and strep and hubby trip time. It was insane, but we had some serious tender mercies through that time.

Someone doorbell ditched us dinner on the day that both hubby and I had to stay home from church because we both had strep. The day that our son gave his first talk! I cried.

My home and visiting teachers brought us dinner. Twice. (Home and visiting teacher are married, so we have double coverage there. ;) )

The disposal guy never came, even though I called him. Twice. (Or maybe it was thrice.)

Why was that a blessing? Because Mr. Really (Really!) Nice dishwasher repairman fixed it for me while he was here. Just because. SOOO nice. (There is a longer story there...if it weren't for him making an extra effort, our appointment would have been canceled and I would have had to wait another week to get the repair done.)

And did I mention that this dishwasher is only a year old? No, it was a year and two weeks old when it died. BUT I actually had purchased the extended warranty (which I rarely do)! So all the repairs cost us zero dolares. The paper goods, however, well, let's just say I'm stocked up for the next unexpected emergency. With the strep and everything, and then hubby out of town, I just didn't have it in me to hand wash dishes. (I know, I'm a wimp, but you do what you can, right? I was actually pretty proud of myself for just letting myself see my limits and let them be.)

- - - - - - -

Yesterday, I woke to the sound of children playing outside. Is there anything more lovely than a summer day and children playing with abandon?

- - - - - - -

I was proud of myself on Friday. My son went on another winter campout and I just waved and didn't stress. I am convinced that part of why Scouts exists is to help mommas let go of their boys. (Note to self -- pack the better sunscreen and encourage son to apply every hour. These boys came home FRIED after ice fishing for several hours. We're talking swollen faces, blisters, and inability to eat. Fortunately, the sunscreen we packed for #1 worked enough to keep the serious stuff at bay for him, but I still have never seen him so burned. Owie. But how blessed this boy is to have leaders who invest so much of their hearts in these young men and their spiritual and physical progress.


- - - - - - - -

Saturday night, there was a stake Valentine's dinner for the adults in our neighborhood. It was lost somewhere in my brain last Sunday, I think. We ended up cleaning the garage together, hubby and I. (And listened to the BYU basketball game. Go Cougs!) I know. We are romantic devils, aren't we? Wanna hear how romantic we really are? I've asked him to not buy me gifts for the next who knows how long so I can get a turbo blender. (I'm backward, I know. Usually a gift like a blender would put a man in the dog house. (Watch the video. It's funny. Unless you are sensitive about gender-related joking. Then don't watch it. I laughed so hard I cried. But remember, I'm a girl who couldn't care less about girly gifts.)



And here's the second one, if you liked that one.

- - - - - - - -

We finally finished our family read-aloud book. I'm happy to report that we were all good to our word; no one read ahead! It was a fun read. I can't believe how long it took us, though. Any suggestions for the next one?

1 comment:

  1. This was a great round-up, Michelle! Sorry, though, to realize that you've been feeling crummy for so long. I knew you'd had strep, but hadn't realized that nasty bacteria had conducted a reign of terror. Yuck.

    Anyway, it sounds like things are looking up, and I'm glad. Hope your Valentine's Day is both fun and romantic...or at the very least, lovely and relaxing.

    =)

    PS. I have often dispensed with gifts over a period of time in order to purchase the more expensive gift of my choice. And yes, sometimes it has been a kitchen item!

    ReplyDelete