Sunday, August 26, 2012

Born Brave


I have a print from a painting in my family room called Las Meninas by Velázquez. It's a painting my husband and I saw while on our honeymoon. It's not the kind of painting that I would have necessarily gravitated toward naturally, but when we went on the tour of the Museo del Prado and learned more about the painter and the painting, we fell in love with the piece and knew we wanted a print for our home.

I was reminded of this experience as I decided to "get to know" Katherine Nelson a little better. I was given two of her CDs to give away, but truth be told, I've never been a fan of giveaways for the sake of Disbursing Free Stuff. But I also appreciate the blessing that uplifting art, music, and writing can be, so I decided to give it a whirl.

And Katherine has given me much to think about. She's inspired me.

For example, consider the following post. Katherine was the woman who played Emma in the film "Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration" which was produced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as the film, "Emma Smith, My Story." Katherine never fancied herself an actress, and her account of being chosen for this role, basically out of the blue, is breathtaking. I was moved to tears reading it. There's so much to ponder here, so much about the power of womanhood, of faith, of trusting God, of letting life teach you, of leaning on the Atonement of Jesus Christ.


p.s. This video is very moving. I think Katherine sang this at her album debut concert with the Nashville Tribute Band this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely post and the video is wonderful. I wasn't aware of her music. I must be not very alert on this one. Thanks for sharing this; it was touching. It was fun to drop by your blog. I love anything on Emma; I truly love her.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete